Mesabi Control Engineering - Controls Engineer
Title: Controls Engineer
Job Classification: Full-time
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
Reporting Relationship: Site Director
The Controls Engineer is responsible for functional and technical leadership of electrical panel design and automation control systems provided by Mesabi Control Engineering. Under limited supervision this person will execute and support controls projects, address post-sales support issues, and participate in research & development activities. This role serves as a key subject matter expert and resource internally, and for Mesabi’s customers.
- Participates on cross-functional engineering teams to develop innovative and feasible design concepts of special equipment or components which will economically and reliably meet project requirements and cost constraints.
- Performs engineering studies of new and existing controls systems to develop P&I drawings and instrument lists.
- Specifies components for fulfilling the control system requirements (PLCs, VFDs, HMIs, transformers, operator panels) of a new mixing line or retrofitting an existing line.
- Maintains efficient and effective programming of control system devices from multiple manufacturers; including, but not limited: PLCs, HMIs, VFDs, Scale Indicators, Safety Devices, etc.
- Coordinates commissioning activities between subordinates, vendors, subcontractors, and customers.
- Drives root cause analysis on process or asset failures and implements corrective actions to prevent recurrence.
- Exhibits a solid understanding of workplace safety and maintains personal compliance training.
- Works within department standards for documentation, panel design, program structure, and workflow.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited school, or equivalent experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- Two (2)+ years’ progressive controls engineering experience.
- Experience in applying UL508A and applicable NFPA codes.
- Ability to use CAD software for developing P&I drawings and electrical control panel design.
- Competent with programming Allen Bradley PLC platforms.
- Competent with programming Allen Bradley FT View ME and SE platforms.
- Knowledge of programming Siemens PLC and HMI platforms.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work in an extremely fast-paced environment.
- Ability to understand and communicate with professionals of other disciplines.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills in the English language; must be fluent in English.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to do what it takes to get the job done with high quality and in a professional manner.
- Assure the company and its mission are consistently presented in strong, positive image.
- Valid driver's license.
- Eligible work in the U.S. without visa sponsorship.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to speak in-person or over the phone.
- Ability to read computer screens for extended periods of time.
- Ability to unpack, move supplies and lift up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Participation in 24/7 Support Team coverage (on rotational basis), requires night and weekend availability to respond to support calls.
- Occasional work in panel shop performing panel layout and wiring functions.
- On-site trips to customer’s manufacturing facilities and exposure to typical rubber compounding facility environment (25% - 35% travel).
- PPE requirements while at customer’s facility (Safety Glasses, Safety Shoes, Hearing Protection, Arc Flash rating clothing, high visibility vest, etc).
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
To apply, click here!