Butler Electric Cooperative - Chief Financial Officer
Company: Butler Electric Cooperative
Job Title: Chief Financial Officer
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Reporting Relationship: Chief Executive Officer
The CFO is responsible for the overall direction of all financial and administration functions, including interpreting and applying the Cooperative’s rules, regulations, and procedures to conventional problems, questions, or situations. In addition, this position is responsible for ensuring the Cooperative’s member’s needs are met through efficient use of the Cooperative’s resources, as well as the management/supervision of the activities and programs of the Accounting and Finance Department in accordance with established policies, procedures, objectives, and budgets.
- Participates, with top executive team and board, in development of long-range plans, an overall work plan and budget, as well as recommendations for improvement in the overall organizational structure of the Cooperative. Develops and recommends to the CEO the annual work plan and budget for the cooperative.
- Prepares and manages the development of budgets and reviews periodically to determine whether goals and budgets are being met for electric division, broadband division and Regional Media Corporation, the wholly owned subsidiary.
- Manages the development of project budgets, and monitors capital expenditures for electric plans and fiber projects.
- Supervises the annual audit process and responds to questions as they arise.
- Performs monthly accounting close processes in NISC, prepares financial statements, and performs an analytical assessment of the financial statements, with explanatory notes of budget to actual variances.
- Ensures that adequate internal controls are followed, or modified, to ensure the integrity and safety of asset safeguarding and financial reporting.
- Interviews and selects new employees for the department, disciplines and terminates employment of personnel, and recommends promotions in accordance with Cooperative’s policy and procedures.
- Assumes ultimate responsibility, through management of the accounting department, for the Cooperatives overall accounting functions, including accounts payable and receivable, payroll, preparation of monthly financial statements, general ledger and other operating and statistical reports.
- Prepares the Form 1120 for the wholly-owned subsidiary and the Form 990 for Butler Electric Cooperative by their respective extended due dates.
- Prepares and file regulatory reporting (KUSF, BDC, Census surveys, Property Tax Renditions, others as assigned).
- Assists the CEO in the formulation and recommendation of operational policies for the Cooperative.
- Participates in the senior staff meetings in order to develop future plans, confer on mutual problems, interchange information and to share in the determination and formulation of management policies and internal procedures.
- Recommends wage and salary adjustments for the Administration and Finance Department personnel, as well as the entire Cooperative in accordance with the Cooperative’s wage and salary plan.
- Provides consultation to the staff and CEO, as needed.
- Resolves customer inquiries, as well as plans, directs, and implements the Accounting Departments activities.
- Develops training programs for the Accounting Department personnel and determines if the department is thoroughly trained in accordance with the qualifications and requirements of their position.
- Plans, monitors, and reports to management on the resource utilization and requirements, including personnel, equipment, software, services and the associated costs.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the CEO.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or related field required, CPA preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience required, five (5) of those years in a regulated utility environment. Desirable experience would include exposure to the Rural Utility Services, and other electric cooperative entities.
- Management experience is highly desirable.
- Valid Kansas Drivers’ License is required.
- Must be knowledgeable in accounting, tax, finance and audit, with experience in each area.
- Basic knowledge in other utility functions such as power supply, engineering, rates, insurance and benefits administration also required.
- Must have experience motivating people in a team effort, developing plans, programs, budgets, goals and standards to measure results.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment, including word processors, computers, office automation, calculators, scanners, copiers and other standard office equipment.
- Understanding and the ability to utilize business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Ability to manage, motivate and supervise employees.
- Ability to build and maintain positive public relations for the Cooperative.
- Ability to effectively communicate, present information and respond to questions, both in a written and verbal manner.
- Ability to demonstrate a personality which is pleasant, cooperative and mature.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and filing systems, as well as develop reports.
- Ability to interpret and apply Cooperative rates, fee schedules, operating policies and procedures.
- Ability to identify and solve problems.
- Ability to develop and administer a budget.
- Ability to train, supervise and counsel subordinates.
- Ability to maintain effective work relations with management, department heads, Cooperative officials, employees and the general public.
- Ability to interpret and apply administrative policies, rules, regulations and procedures of the Cooperative to work processes.
- Self-motivated and interested in working with other people, as well as maintaining a good team attitude.
- Ability to sit to a significant degree.
- Ability to stand, lift, carry, push, pull, balance, stoop, reach, handle, talk, hear, see, grasp, move head and neck and movement across mid-line.
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Finger dexterity, manual dexterity, alertness, precision, form perception, motor coordination, auditory discrimination and tactile discrimination.
- Inside/Indoor environment which provides protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily temperature changes.
- Interaction with staff and customers.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
To apply, CLICK HERE!