StepStone - Child Advocate
Job Title: Child Advocate
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Reporting Relationship: Coordinator of Housing & Advocacy - StepStone
Salary: $40,000-$60,000, negotiable based upon experience
Under general direction of the Coordinator of Housing & Advocacy, the Child Advocate provides direct services to children and families served by StepStone. These services include but are not limited to goal development, case management, advocacy, parenting education and facilitation of support groups for the children. Child Advocate participates in the intake process and may be called upon to make public presentations. All duties are performed in a manner consistent with Gospel values, the mission of the sponsoring congregations, and sound social service principles.
- Collaborates with the Coordinator of Housing & Advocacy to assess applicants and potential participants with an intake interview.
- Interviews participants to assess needs; works collaboratively with client to develop short and long term goals for their children
- Assists client and/or children in the development of a safety plan to maintain a safe living environment for the participant and her child (ren).
- Provides life skills education in the areas, parenting skills, and activities necessary to assist client in developing strong and healthy relationships with her children and to maintain a safe living environment for the participant and her child (ren).
- Develops and implements support group activities for the participants and their children
- Coordinates a spectrum of child friendly resources and refers participants to appropriate services, particularly those which serve victims/survivors of domestic violence.
- Represents StepStone to the public with formal presentations when necessary.
- Maintains professional contact with community resources and advocates for client’s needs
- Provides outreach services to women/children eligible for StepStone program when there is no housing available.
- Provides follow up services to women and their families after they leave StepStone housing
- Attends inter-agency meetings as a Child Advocate for the participant as situation demands; may be required to complete formal reports for other agencies.
- Completes necessary documentation including, but not limited to: assessment, client goals, progress notes, interim progress reviews, home visits, verification of client income, and utility payment
- Gathers statistical information for periodic reports
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in social service field, social work preferred. Experience in working with victims of domestic violence preferred.
Certification, registration, or license:
- LBSW/LMSW preferred. Driver’s license, motor vehicle, and insurance required.
Ability to lift up to 40 pounds occasionally and up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. May be assigned to multilevel building with some floors accessible by stairs only. Minimal requirements of moving about the office. Sit about 40% of the time. Frequently express ideas by spoken words. Frequently operate equipment requiring moderate ability.
- Inside/indoor office environment which provides protection from weather condition, but not necessarily temperature changes.
- Interaction with staff and participants.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
To apply, click here!