Kansas Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. - Regulatory Affairs Manager
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: Regular Office Hours, Monday through Friday
Reporting Relationship: Executive Director, Regulatory Affairs and Planning
The Manager of Regulatory Affairs is responsible for analyzing KEPCo’s cost of service, reviewing and analyzing rate filings and periodic formula rate updates made by KEPCo’s power and transmission suppliers, and assisting in the development, implementation, and maintenance of KEPCo’s rate structure with its member distribution cooperatives (“Members”). Additionally, this position will assist in the preparation of rate studies and rate cases, advise the Executive Director of Regulatory Affairs and Planning, Senior Vice President of Regulatory and Government Affairs/General Counsel, the Executive Vice President, and KEPCo Members on rate-related matters. This position also will be responsible for other rate and regulatory matters as needed and assigned.
- Participate in the development of KEPCo’s rates and assist in obtaining approvals of regulatory agencies as necessary to execute plans.
- Communicate with the appropriate federal, state, and local regulatory agencies regarding rate matters relevant to KEPCo.
- Assist in developing plans for providing an adequate, economical power supply for KEPCo’s Members.
Power Supply and Transmission
- Remain familiar with local and regional power supply and transmission facilities, including costs, rates, and long-range plans.
- Remain familiar with KEPCo’s power costs, projected future power costs, and power supply and transmission contracts.
- Assists with the coordination of KEPCo's involvement in proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Kansas Corporation Commission, and other state and federal agencies or tribunals.
- Assist with the development of KEPCo’s annual purchased power and transmission expense budget.
- Remain familiar with contract and tariff relationships between KEPCo and its Members.
- Assist in developing and evaluating contracts for power supply and transmission service purchases, as necessary.
- Collect expense data to be used to develop KEPCo's revenue requirements.
- Assist in developing KEPCo’s power cost and revenue projections.
- Assist in developing KEPCo’s annual revenue budget.
- Assist in monthly wholesale power billing to KEPCo Members.
- Keep the Executive Director of Regulatory Affairs and Planning informed regarding KEPCo's revenue requirements and rate needs.
- Assist in preparing reports for the KEPCo Board of Trustees as assigned by the Executive Director of Regulatory Affairs and Planning.
- Advise the Executive Director of Regulatory Affairs and Planning, Senior Vice President of Regulatory and Government Affairs/General Counsel, the Executive Vice President, and KEPCo Members on rate-related or other matters.
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate technical discipline from an accredited institution is required. Graduate degree is preferred.
- At least five (5) years of direct experience is required.
- Knowledge of electric utility rate design, including rate implementation and maintenance; cost analysis and cost accounting principles; power supply and transmission operations; and purchased power contract administration is preferred.
- Knowledge of computer modeling for rate applications is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite programs (i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel) is required.
- Ability to develop and evaluate complicated electric utility rate issues is preferred.
- Ability to prepare and analyze rate studies and revenue requirements for the purpose of establishing adequate rates and charges is preferred.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan, and set priorities with minimal supervision is required.
- Ability to work both independently and in team settings is required.
- Ability to analyze difficult financial and economic data and draw logical conclusions is required.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, is required.
- Ability to gain and maintain respect of others, both inside and outside of the organization, is required.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of KEPCo is required.
- Valid Kansas drivers’ license required.
- Ability to support the goals, plans, and programs of KEPCo is required.
- Possess the necessary personal characteristics that make an employee a productive team member, including, but not limited to, high integrity, good personal habits, and regular attendance at work, is required.
- Demonstrate poise, tact, diplomacy, and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations is required.
- Electric utility regulatory experience, including auditing, developing regulatory filings, and sponsoring testimony, is strongly preferred.
- Ability to read computer screens, read and respond to email, and talk on the phone.
- Ability to lift up to twenty (20) pounds.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with staff and members.
To apply for this position, click here.